Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Great Expectations

How often do you pray for big things?  When I say big things, I mean really BIG things.  Things that if they happened, there would be no other explanation except that God showed up and moved in a mighty way.  For most of us, our prayers include things that we can probably accomplish on our own.  If it is more money, we can work for it.  If it is a better job, we start looking for one.  I started noticing in my own prayer life that I pray little prayers.  God laid it on my heart a few months ago to start a girls' Bible study for the girls in our youth group at church.  I have never led a Bible study and this has never been done at our church before so really it is an experiment.  The first girls' night out was last night at my house.  My expectations were pretty low, thinking maybe ten people would come.  As 6 o'clock rolled around, my doorbell kept ringing with new faces showing up.  As I turned on the movie we were watching and began counting how many people were there, I was amazed at what God had done.  28 daughters and moms had come.  I prayed for this gathering.  I prayed that God would bring the perfect people to be a part of this, but I underestimated what God could do. 

As I sat there thanking God for how He had worked last night, I was reminded of a special lesson I learned a few years ago.  In 2008, I had the opportunity to share my testimony at Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia on Easter Sunday.  The Holy Spirit has blessed their church and it is thriving with growth, both spiritually and in number.  At the end of the service, 13 people came down and gave their lives to Christ.  I remember being overwhelmed with how neat it was to see so many people get saved.  After the service, I told Kaitlyn, the girl who was hanging out with me during my stay, how awesome it was that so many people made decisions for Christ.  I will never forget her response.  She said, "We are so grateful for the ones that came.  We had been praying for 50 to get saved."  When I heard that, I thought, "Wow.  I'm excited if one person gets saved at my church, much less 50."  Kaitlyn doesn't know this, but she taught me a big lesson that day.  We shouldn't limit God with our puny prayers.  We have to expect Him to show up and work in a mighty way.  So here's my question, what are your expectations of God?  Do you only ask Him for small things because you are doubtful He will do the big things?

There are  so many stories in the Bible of people who expected God to show up and He did not disappoint.  Think of Moses and the Israelites.  As they left the bondage of Egypt, they were excited and grateful for how God had delivered them, but that excitement quickly turned to panic when the Egyptians began chasing them and they were caught between their enemies and the Red Sea.  The Israelites turned to Moses for guidance.  Can you imagine what it would be like if your leader was unsure of what to do if it were a life or death situation?  In that moment, Moses knew God would show up.  He expected God to do a mighty work and when he told the Israelites to step into the Red Sea, he was sure God would save them.  The Red Sea parted and the Israelites passed through the sea on dry ground.  So how sure are you that God can do a mighty work in your life?  Do you believe God can part the seas of trouble and despair for you?

Think of the story of Joshua and the defeat of the city of Jericho.  What if Joshua had said, "I don't know guys.  I think we're supposed to walk around this big wall for 7 days and then we'll see what happens."  Can you imagine the frustration of the people?  Joshua was sure of what God had said and he obeyed His commands.  Joshua expected God to bless their obedience and show up in a mighty way.  So after seven days of marching around the walls of Jericho, God tore down the walls at the sound of the Israelites shout.  Are you like Joshua?  Do you expect God to tear down the walls in your life?

Matthew 11:22-24 says, "Jesus replied to them, "Have faith in God.  I assure you: If anyone says to this mountain, 'Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.  Therefore, I tell you, all the things you pray and ask for-believe that you have received them, and you will have them."  If Jesus made mention of a mountain being cast in the sea, don't you think He can handle your prayers, even the big ones?  This verse isn't a blank check of answered prayers, but it is a promise that what you ask of God that is in His will, He is faithful to do.  Take a moment today and think about the big things in your life that you need God to work in.  Start praying for God to give you a sense of anticipation for what He can do through you.  Don't limit God with your puny prayers.  I promise, there is no limit to what God can do through you. 

Below is a picture of our girls' night out group.  Let it serve as a reminder to you today that God can do more than we could ever dream of. 


No comments:

Post a Comment